Man Made and Natural Structures
- identify and explain what frame, shell, and frame-and-shell structures are.
- describe different structures developed by different cultures and compare them.
- explain differences in function, materials, and aesthetics of items with a common function.
- compare current designs and historical designs.
- illustrate the role of symmetry in design.
- describe structures in nature and how their structure is used to their advantage.
- compare natural structures to manufactured (man-made) structures (spider web versus a fishing net).
- identify points and modes of failure in natural and built structures (where and how it fails)